That waffle iron is a useful thang. Let it earn its keep when you use it for more than just waffles — like for making HASHBROWNS!
The concept is great. Being able to make crispy potatoes, I found a very good idea. I tried this for a while and here I share.
I use shredder seasoned potatoes (approximately 1 inch size)
Use 36 mashed potatoes for a complete waffle maker.
Please note: potatoes thawed before putting them in the waffle maker.
For mashed potatoes 36 with 2 minutes in the microwave will be fine, they have to be soft but not broken.
With a bag of 32 ounces (2 pounds) you can make 3 good crispy waffles, of 1/2 inch high. Enough for 2 people accompanied with eggs, bacon or whatever you like.
I have also brushed with a little oil waffle iron to prevent sticking. You can also use Spray Oil.
- 1 bag frozen shredder seasoned potatoes
- Oil or Spray oil
- (for ketchup serving, if desired)
- Spray a hot waffle iron generously with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place shredder seasoned potatoes on top of the hot waffle iron. Press the waffle iron closed, using a bit of pressure as needed to slowly lower the lid over the shredder seasoned potatoes.
- Close the lid and cook until crispy and golden brown.
- Remove from waffle iron. Salt lightly. Serve with ketchup, if desired.