Baked Macaroni & Cheese Balls
What is the ultimate comfort food for you and your family? In our house, it is macaroni and cheese, without question. And not the kind that comes from a box, either, but rich, creamy homemade macaroni and cheese.
It’s one of the few things I can guarantee that all three of my children will eat! A little while ago, I discovered a fun little appetizer version of mac ‘n cheese at our local Trader Joe’s. They were formed into balls and coated in bread crumbs, and then baked.
Baked Macaroni and Cheese Balls
- 2 cups leftover macaroni and cheese (homemade or from a box)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (I used Panko breadcrumbs, but any kind will do)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Make sure leftover macaroni and cheese is really cold. I suggest putting it in the freezer for about 20 minutes before preparing.
- While the macaroni and cheese is chilling in the freezer, get out three bowls. Add flour to one bowl, the egg to another, and the breadcrumbs to the remaining bowl. Whisk the egg slightly to break it up. Season the flour with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare a cookie sheet by lining it with aluminum foil . Drizzle one tablespoon of olive oil on aluminum foil and spread around to coat the foil evenly.
- When macaroni is chilled, remove from freezer. Scoop a tablespoon amount of macaroni and cheese and roll it around in your hands to make sure the ball is tightly packed. You want each ball to be uniform in size, about 1 or 1.5 inches in diameter.
- Roll each ball through the flour, then the egg, and lastly the breadcrumbs. Place on prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove cookie sheet from oven, flip the macaroni balls over, and bake another 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm with various condiments and dipping sauces.